TEMPE, Ariz. – Baylor men’s golf is in fourth place after shooting 11-under-par 557 over two rounds on Saturday at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational at Karsten Golf Course. The Bears shot 8-under 276 in the first round and 3-under 281 in the afternoon.
No. 11 Baylor (-11) trails only No. 25 Arizona State (-18), No. 27 UNLV (-18) and No. 3 Oklahoma (-15). The Bears lead No. 32 Arizona (-6), No. 1 Oklahoma State (-3), No. 44 Colorado State (-1), Oregon State (+3), Utah (+4), Wyoming (+5), Denver (+8), No. 43 Colorado (+10), Washington State (+17), Boise State (+23), UC Irvine (+26), New Mexico State (+29) and Hawaii (+32).
The Bears counted four below-par rounds in the morning and three below-par rounds in the afternoon. Braden Bailey and Cooper Dossey shot par or better in both rounds, while Garrett May, Matthew Perrine and Colin Kober each had one below-par round.
Bailey shot 5-under 66 in the first round and even-par 71 in the second round to sit in a tie for sixth place at 5-under 137. May is in eighth place at 4-under 138 after rounds of 1-over 72 and 5-under 66. Dossey shot 1-under 70 and even-par 71 to sit in a tie for 20th place at 1-under 141, while Perrine carded 1-under 70 and 2-over 73 to sit in a tie for 28th place at 1-over 143, and Kober is tied for 52nd place at 5-over 147 after rounds of 1-under 70 and 6-over 77.
Both Ryan Grider and Travis McInroe competed in a sister tournament on Saturday at the ASU Individual at Papago Golf Course in Phoenix. Grider shot 2-over 73 and 4-under 67 to sit in third place in the 35-player field at 2-under 140, two back of the lead. McInroe is tied for 28th place at 10-over 152 after rounds of 8-over 79 and 2-over 73. Grider’s second-round 67 was two strokes better than his best previous collegiate round. He was even through eight holes before finishing with four birdies and six pars over the final 10 holes.
• Baylor is tied for the lead in the 17-team field in par-3 scoring at 4-over 3.10.
• The Bears are fifth in par-4 scoring at 5-over 4.05 and sixth in par-5 scoring at 13-under 4.57.
• BU is tied for second in the field with 41 birdies and tied for sixth with 109 pars.
• Colin Kober and Braden Bailey are tied for sixth in the 85-player field in par-3 scoring at even-par 3.00.
• Bailey is tied for 12th in par-4 scoring at 2-under 3.91, while Garrett May is tied for 15th at 1-under 3.95.
• May is tied for ninth in par-5 scoring at 4-under 4.33.
• May and Cooper Dossey are tied for 18th in par-3 scoring at 1-over 3.13.
• May and Dossey are tied for ninth with 10 birdies apiece, while Bailey is tied for 14th with nine birdies.
• Matthew Perrine is tied for 11th with 24 pars.
• Ryan Grider is tied for the lead in a 35-player field at the ASU Individual with a par-3 scoring average of even-par 3.00, and he’s tied for second in par-4 scoring at 1-under 3.95 and tied for second with eight birdies.
STAT OF THE DAY
7 – Baylor players played seven of 10 rounds at par or better on the first day at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational. Bailey and May had the best rounds of the day at 5-under-par 66, while Dossey, Perrine and Kober each posted rounds of a 1-under 70.
Baylor players are paired with golfers from Oklahoma for Sunday’s final round, which begins at 9 a.m. CT. Bailey and May have the Bears’ first tee times at 10:06 a.m., while Dossey and Perrine tee off at 10:17 a.m., and Kober is last off the tee at 10:28 a.m. In the ASU Individual at Papago Golf Course, McInroe tees off at 9:20 a.m., followed by Grider in the final group off the tee at 10:30 a.m. Live scoring is available at www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.